January 13, 2006

Hacker's Law of Personnel
Anyone having supervisory responsibility for the completion of a task will invariably protest that more resources are needed.

The language of Govinda


Everybody seems to understand one universal language - the language of....
"GOVINDA"
Whatever be the visceral mutterings, it all ends in one resounding "GOVINDA", which everyone vociferously participates in!. And the tempo continues on, regardless of who started it.

A few observations of my recent trip to Tirupati, in what I consider to be a mini - pilgrimage tour of temples in south India, designed to partly waste my time partly to reduce my enthusiasm to go to temples. I guess its probably to repent for not going to a temple for about a year.

Many things have changed, for the better. The roads are good. And relaid. The place is a lot more cleaner. And somebody seems to have peppered a bit of organization into them. It has gone from a complete stampede to what I consider as organized chaos. Especially in the inner sanctum. Probably because of the ever increasing number of ushers ready to herd people like cattle (probably worse)
But.
There are many things that havent changed. The crowds. The maddening crowds of people who throng to see the diety - have a darshan as it is called. It has probably become worse. The fleecing jeeps. Always on the lookout for the next customer. The hot cup of coffee before going for the 5am darshan. And many many more.

One thing that I still dont seem to understand is the innate need of the people to have the "one last glimpse" of the diety and trying all methods in the book to achieve it. What drives them? I dont see the urge to do that at all. I see the diety. Then I am pushed out. Thats it.

Granted. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity for many people while its my 10th time here. I get to go there atleast once in two years. Probably thats why I find it so common place.

But it is still one of life unanswered questions....

Finally - try to read this station name in one go:


No.
I did not make it up. Saw it on the way to Tirupati :)

2 Comments:

Blogger twip said...

Interesting blog.....very profound observations:)
The sheer length of the name has me stumped! Its almost as if the person who named the town was trying to fit all the Avatars of Vishnu in one name:P
Megha

1:55 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Volvo 850 Turbocharger
ur blog is really nice and interesting, You have maintain it so beautifully that I truly like & enjoy it

1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home